Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Week 2: Things 3 and 4 -- Blogging and The Habits

I listened to the 7-and-a-1/2-habits presentation.

The easiest habit for me? Create your own learning toolbox.

To me, this sounds like the research habit and researching is something I love to do. I like to dig for answers and I'm an obsessive listmaker. Lists of books, lists of websites, lists of blogs.

The hardest habit? View problems as challenges.

This is SOOOO hard for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm putting out one fire and, just as I'm stomping out the flames, three more spring up. And they feel like fires, not challenges. A deep breath and a buttoned lip usually help. If it's not a real emergency--and, in libraryland, they rarely are--taking a day to think about things instead of making a snap decision is always smart, too.

6 comments:

Rachel {polkadots and puppies} said...

I'm with you on the lists, James! I love a good list. Oh, and the joy of crossing things off! It gives one such a sense of accomplishment! I have been teased for writing down a task that I've already completed simply so that I can cross it off :)
rg

Pint-size Bookworm said...

Thank God I'm not the only one! ;)
BTW, loved the Mommy Dearest shout-out.

SusanK said...

Wow James I hope you don't feel like you need to put out fires at Artz....call the fire department!

Buffalo gal said...

I'm the only one in my family that's not a nurse (including my ex-cop brother-in-law)so I can identify with your definition of emergency. I've often reassured my staff that no one will die if they don't get the new magazines done today. But tommorrow.....

Tal said...

I'm terrible at lists. >.<

FREDERICK HIPPIE said...

The best phrase I ever heard was "we aren't operating on babies here...it's the library...relax"