Saturday, July 14, 2007

Week 6: Thing 14 -- Technorati

I spent a good bit of time playing around with the advanced search in Technorati. We were told to search the same phrase using the various options and to discover the differences in returned hits. I explored blog directory (couple of hundred hits), exact phrase (couple of thousand hits) and tag searching (many thousands of hits).

It is great to have a tool that allows for more focused searching of blogs, so that we can keep up with what Sifry calls the global conversation.

The top favorited blog was Boing Boing, a site I'm kind of familiar with. It has a tech bent, but really it's about a lot of things. When I visited I found recent links to: a video by Chris Anderson, an article about supposed man-eating badgers (rad!) and photos of a particle accelerator.

The list of top searches was interesting. I was not surprised to see things like Paris Hilton or iphone because they are things which bloggers talk about and Technorati users might want to search.

What I did find surprising were terms like youtube and myspace, because, if I understand the principle of Technorati correctly, a person who uses the search box to look for the term myspace will get a list of blog posts where people mention the term myspace and my guess is that searchers were actually looking for myspace itself, not people writing about the site. (Confusing, I know.)

Besides, I decided to duplicate their search and I plugged myspace into the Technorati search box. I received 945,000 hits. How is that helpful?

The Top 100 blogs list was fun. If you're new to blogging, you should explore the list yourself. As advertised, it's a who's-who. One of the blogs I visit daily is Kottke.org (number 51 on the big list). He always links to interesting news about movies, music, tech, design, etc. His wife, Meg, is one of the creators of Blogger; so they are like the it-couple in the blogosphere.

Technorati tag:

No comments: