Friday, July 13, 2007

Week 6: Thing 13 -- Tagging and del.icio.us


Tag
Originally uploaded by richbrenner

I like the idea of tagging. Not to replace our controlled vocabulary but to enhance it with more everyday, colloquial language. Why not open things up to users to define things? If the goal is to make information more accessible, shouldn't we make catalogs that allow people to use natural language?

Anyone who has tried to use an online catalog in the last ten years knows how cumbersome it can be. Sometimes I think the design of our online catalogs is a not-so-subtle attempt on the part of library vendors/employees to maintain job security.

The difficulties people face using our catalogs have a lot to do with the limitations of our controlled vocabulary, our antiquated, inflexible subject headings (...webdesign that is not intuitive, search options that are not user-friendly, etc, etc, etc). None of this is new, but for some reason, it continues to be an issue.

I'm not saying that patrons shouldn't learn our system, but there should be more than one access point. Tagging allows for that.

Some folks are creating solutions that even allow for tagging within the catalog.

We learned about tagging this week within the context of del.icio.us. Of the tools we've looked at so far, I think del.icio.us is probably the one that we could use right now on the reference desk.

Just looking at how San Mateo library used it to organize commonly-used sites by dewey range...I get goose pimples; then again I'm a giant geek.

I started my own del.icio.us account and only added a few things to try it out, but I'm sure I'll be adding a lot more soon.

3 comments:

Pint-size Bookworm said...

Wow, go San Mateo! That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. (it's sad, isn't it?)

Marie Slaby said...

Oh, I think I'll add San Mateo's delicious to my delicious list--very cool! I looked at their 400s language resources and was happy to see good ol' noodle tools and OWL--two of my favorites!

FREDERICK HIPPIE said...

Funny,

To me this is proof any library can use technology. I don't think of San Mateo as an overly techie library, but their rockin the del.iou.us.

Sydney