Saturday, July 7, 2007

Week 5: Thing 12 -- Rollyo


film
Originally uploaded by Isuma

It took me a second to get my bearings with Rollyo. At first I was confused and thought that we were supposed to add lists of search engines to our roll. When that didn't seem to make sense, I decided to read the directions.

Reading the directions is often the second step for me when it comes to 2.0 tools. I prefer just jumping in and trying to swim.

What I learned from reading was that Rollyo is a kind of do-it-yourself meta-search-engine. If you visit sites routinely and they are on a particular topic, you can plug all of the URLs into Rollyo, create a search roll and then use it to search all of those sites at the same time, with one search box.

I created my own search roll entitled Film News/Reviews. I did a search on the new Michael Moore film, Sicko, and sure enough, Rollyo delivered all kinds of news and neat reviews.

I can envision many applications of Rollyo for libraries. For example, we might create a search roll which staff could use to answer a commonly asked question. Let's say our desk gets a particular question repeatedly, but the answer might change from week-to-week--think local info, financial news, weather, etc.

No comments: