Saturday, July 7, 2007

Week 5: Thing 11 -- Library Thing



Originally uploaded by heather

Library Thing is a neat tool. Here's my library.

I used this site a few months ago to unload about 60 books. You see, I didn't feel like selling the books to make a profit, but I did want them out of my house (trying to de-clutter) and I wanted to make sure that they went to good homes.

So, I put all of the titles on Library Thing and then shared the link with friends. I told them that I'd mail any requested title to them free of charge and that if they wanted to send back mixed CDs or weird candy in exchange then that would be swell.

Many friends replied.

I found foster homes for almost every single book and was soon ankle deep in new music and unusual Japanese candy.

(...the handful of books that were left I donated to the library booksale.)

[PS- I found the photo above on flickr. A man named Chris Cobb was allowed to put every book in a San Francisco store in order by color, all in the name of art. Pretty cool, huh?]

1 comment:

contrarymary1 said...

Wow! What a good idea. I've been boxing up books to get rid of too. It's always a hard thing to do. My daughter does well with freecycle.org here in the county. When her cell phone broke, she found a free replacement immediately. Haven't tried getting rid of books on it.