Friday, June 29, 2007

Week 4: Thing 9 -- MERLIN and searching for feeds

I checked out MERLIN. There are a lot of resources there and I continue to be impressed by the cooperative spirit of Maryland libraries.

On the sidebar, there were a list of blogs. I subscribed to a couple more feeds with my bloglines reader (established in Thing 8).

Later, I checked out a few other sites for searching for feeds. I looked at feedster, topix, syndic8 and technorati.

Frankly, I found the first 3 pretty clunky.

Technorati still seems like the best option to me. It is easier to use their search feature to find blogs of interest and then I can just cherry-pick feeds when I go visit the sites. I also like how Technorati lets you rank by authority. They seem to determine authority by the number of sites that link to a particular blog which isn't necessarily fool-proof, but it's a nice start.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Since it takes too long to access my work mail from home, I hope you don't mind if I ask a question here: Will FCPL get "credit" for my participation if I do not complete the form for CEUs?

James said...

victoria--sorry for the delayed response, i had to check with the state folks.

FCPL will only get credit for staff who complete tracking logs.