Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Week 4: Thing 8 -- RSS feeds


PA264407_processed
Originally uploaded by TheThiers

What better way to honor feeds than a photo of a pie-eating contest?

Here's a link to the feeds I set up in bloglines.

I like newsreaders because they offer me a one-stop shopping option. Instead of having to remember and then type URLs for the 10 or 15 sites I visit daily, I can subscribe to those RSS feeds and then go to one place--Bloglines. It will scrape all those websites for me at once.

The best part is Bloglines tells me if my favorite sites have posted new content since the last time I checked. This saves a ton of time.

More and more people want websites that they can personalize. One website no longer fits all unless that website is highly customizable. RSS feeds are one tool that libraries could use to help make their sites more flexible, giving patrons access to the information they want, in the format that they want it.

The Readers Club example we explored shows how one library lets patrons subscribe to book reviews by genre. Pretty neat!

No comments: